Aogashima Island Travel Blog / Tourism Guide
Sampo Port, Kanju-maru
Currently, Sampo port is the only port in the island. Once, the port construction of "Ochiyo port" was promoted as the second port, but now, you cannot even get close to it due to a collapse accident.
- Seiho tunnel between Ikenosawa and Sampo port.
The instant you come out of the tunnel, Sampo port opens out in front of you. It is the port that the inhabitants of the island had wanted for so long, which was made after a difficult task in Aogashima that had few coasts. It is the logistic lifeline of the island.
Because it has no breakwaters and it has a short pier, it is impossible to moor ships and also impossible for large ships to dock at the wharf. So the port has facilities to land a ship, and the fishing boats of the inhabitants utilize the facilities.
Thanks to Ai-land Shuttle, you can travel back and forth between Aogashima and Hachijo-jima without using a ship, but the volume of loaded cargoes is limited, so stable service of ships is crucial for living in Aogashima.
- I found a large crane vehicle. Is it for port and harbor constructions?
- The surface of a mountain bedded in concrete as far as the eye can see.
- Uwatemawari route is closed to traffic due to a collapse.
- There are a few people fishing on the new embankment.
- A part of a concrete retaining wall is beginning to collapse.
The sheer cliff which rises behind the port has fragile geological features, so the entire surface is bedded in concrete. A part of the wall was already collapsed on a large scale by an earthquake and restoration work has been currently carried out.
Because of its stern appearance, Sampo port is ridiculed as a military fortress as a result. The reason may be because restoration and improvement are carried out every day in order to protect the inhabitants' lives.
- The old waiting room is no longer used.
I went into the building which says the "Waiting room of Sampo port".
- The waiting room which was hit by a high wave and fell into ruins.
On the rooftop, there used to be free hot spring facilities. However, it lies in ruin currently. It looks like it was hit by a high wave.
- There used to be free hot spring facilities on the rooftop of the waiting room.
Currently, the building called "Falling stone protective facility of Aogashima port", which is on an elevated bridge, is replacing the old waiting room.
- Practically, the Falling stone protective facility is a waiting room.
- The Falling stone protective facility is very large.
- Sampo port is a complex structure with an elevated bridge.
- Overlooking the elevated bridge from the old waiting room.
Luckily, I was able to watch ships landed on that day. Ships were carried onto the elevated bridge. It was like a ropeway.
It takes about 10 minutes to lift ships and take them down. It was over in the blink of an eye.
I was able to see a full view of Kanju-maru at Yaene port in Hachijo-jima. I realized it has endured sailing on stormy seas so far.
On a deck, a crane for unloading a ship is equipped. It is a crucial equipment in a port which is poor in facilities like Sampo port.
- Hanging out a destination display of "Between Hachijo-jima and Aogashima" splendidly.
A plate of "Between Hachijo-jima and Aogashima" looks shining.
- Visit Day
- 2011/08/07 - 10
- Contents of This Report